About the current situation (Good Read)

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

About the current situation (Good Read)

Post  Jay.P.A on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:42 pm

By some geeza on villatalk:

____

We didn’t sign any new players on transfer deadline day. Villa fans sat hopefully in front of Sky Sports News waiting for Jim White to shout in his annoying Scottish accent about BIG NEWS FROM ASTON VILLA. The big news of the day from Villa Park was that Kevin MacDonald had talked things through with his girlfriend and, unlike David Unsworth, had decided he quite liked the idea of first team duty at Bodymoor Heath.

The mood on VillaTalk swung violently throughout the day. Like cats on a hot tin roof, fans nervously eyed Harry Redknapp and hoped he woudn’t “football manage” the transfer of Ashley Young. Eventually, Big Ben chimed six times and the window was closed. Ashley Young didn’t leave, neither did Sidwell or Heskey or Davies or Beye. To the apparent shock of many, nobody new arrived.

I can’t imagine why anybody thought a new arrival of any type was likely. Five days before the season started, Martin O’Neill shook the football world by resigning “with immediate effect”. By reading his letter to Paul Faulkner and exiting the club in a puff of smoke, Villa’s prospects of major activity in the transfer market evaporated until January.
The situation which has emerged from the rubble of the ‘quake caused by O’Neill’s departure is far from ideal. Rumours were rife about the reasons for the manager’s swift exit. The official line that manager and owner no longer shared a common vision for the future is the best explanation we’re going to get in the absence of “O’Neill: The Autobiography”. However, in the run up to 6pm today, the knives were being unsheathed and sharpened. Randy Lerner was now being described more frequently as the new Doug Ellis.

Let me state the following for the record: I have great admiration and respect for Randy Lerner. I believe him to be the near-perfect custodian of our club. That does not mean I will blindly follow him and refuse to see his faults. However, in this instance, I stand firmly behind the Chairman. These are my reasons.

Martin O’Neill resigned in the week running up to our first league game of the season. O’Neill, after 4 years of near-total, almost dictatorial, control of footballing matters had left and a massive vacuum remained. By their nature, vacuums suck up all that surrounds them. They are hugely volatile and destructive. I believe that Lerner’s biggest mistake since his arrival was to allow for that to happen. He got very lucky with O’Neill, either inheriting or appointing (opinions vary) a manager who was riding on the crest of a huge wave of goodwill following the departure of David O’Leary. I also believe that he has accepted that failing, and probably accepted it earlier in the summer.

His biggest Villa test now staring him in the face, Lerner is now the owner of a football club preparing for its most competitive season in many years. The options facing him are to either make an immediate managerial appointment or to attempt take a breath and attack the situation in a considered way. It happened fast, and Kevin MacDonald was asked to take the reins while the club began the search for a replacement.

Fans chanted their support for Lerner at the West Ham game later that week. It wasn’t a small section of the Holte End; the chant echoed around Villa Park.

What happened since then is anybody’s guess. I believe that Lerner, at this point, also accepted his own limitations in terms of football expertise and resorted back to what he knows best: business.

What does any well run business do when a Senior Executive leaves his post? I can tell you that they don’t make a few phone calls and make a decision rashly. Let’s remember that O’Neill’s departure was not expected. Back in May, Lerner faced the press and said that he and O’Neill were working well together.

What a well run business will do is examine the market place and make an informed choice. They will meet with several candidates, and when the process is finished, a “right” choice will be made. It is my belief that Lerner has engaged the services of an executive search consultant to assist in finding a new manager. This is hardly a ground-breaking practice, but it does not involve Lerner, Faulkner or Krulak running through the LMA website and searching for the mobile numbers of several managers. The consultant does the initial running. Let’s call him the headhunter.

The headhunter acts as the middle man. He is presented with a profile of the “ideal candidate”. In this case, the club’s statement describing the ideal candidate as having experience of managing in the Premier League and with an understanding of how to get the best from our squad is probably the same profile given to the headhunter.

The headhunter then goes away, compiles a list of potential candidates who match that profile and begin the process of making first contact. The beauty of this method is that the headhunter makes the initial approach in a sensitive and discrete way, and without the knowledge of Aston Villa. Let’s imagine that the headhunter has David Moyes on his list of candidates who match the profile. Aston Villa cannot call David Moyes and discuss the vacancy with him; that’s a flagrant disregard for the laws of the game. However, the headhunter can contact Moyes or his agent, arrange a meeting to get an initial impression of Moyes’ interest in the role and, if he expresses an interest, put him on the list of interested candidates.

The headhunter will have been asked to come back with a shortlist; maybe 3, maybe 5, maybe 10 names. As an experienced recruiter, the consultant will be able to gauge which are the strongest candidates in terms of level of interest, previous achievements and future potential. The consultant then presents the shortlist to Aston Villa. At this stage, Villa identify their number one choice and, if necessary, approach their club for permission to discuss the vacancy directly with the candidate. Most clubs know, when they receive a call like this from another club, that their manager has shown an interest in the vacancy and that their only remaining course of action is to get the best possible compensation package available to them. Martin Jol’s flirtation with Fulham is a good example of this process. In this instance, Ajax stood firm and kept a hold of their manager. Most clubs aren’t as successful.

The above is never a swift process. It can take many weeks, and I imagine this is exactly the reason why we have not appointed a manager before now. I believe that anybody who has imagined Randy Lerner on his mobile to Sven Eriksson, Martin Jol, Mark Hughes et al has the wrong image of how Lerner is conducting this process.

I also think that anybody who expected the Chairman to sanction the spending of any money since O’Neill’s departure is equally misguided. Any prospective candidate preparing for a meeting with Randy Lerner this week would see an owner interfering in team affairs, signing players on the advice of a man tasked with keeping things “ticking over” while a permanent manager is recruited. Any prospective manager worth his salt would see that and immediately be suspicious of the man running the football club.

Say what you like about Randy Lerner, but he is no fool. I believe he’s had his fingers burnt by Martin O’Neill. He believed he had a good, if not excellent, relationship with the man he entrusted the running of his football club to. He isn’t going to jump from the frying pan into the fire and allow himself to be similarly exposed again.

Randy Lerner is Chairman of a football club he has spent hundreds of millions of pounds on in the last 4 years. He will most definitely not place that investment in any kind of jeopardy by making the sort of decision which will damage or devalue the club and I firmly back that approach.

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=64066
Jay.P.A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: About the current situation (Good Read)

Post  Guest on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:24 am

You could say deluded, you could say naive and you could say self important and in fairness you could say a little accuracy.

For me this is obvious and very straight forward.

Firstly you have to look at the Lerner family history and how they have shaped the Cleveland Browns.

Then you have to look at MON's and Lerners relationship, it was obvious back in Jan that there was no more money for MON, so he's already got one foot out the door back then.

And then the most obvious truth of all for me, Lerner simply doesn't have the disposable income to spend on a football club that is required to keep that club at the top of the worlds most expensive League. In Spite of the type of player MON signed, the state Villa where in when MOn took it over said to many you could throw 200ml and still not get the squad you want, aka Man City.

I think there was a breakdown of trust between MON and Lerner, in part brought about by MON and his failure to get the right players and also but not least we have seen a side to our chairman that most Villa fans deluded themselves that this fella would die for Villa, its obvious he would only die for Villa if it didn't cost him any more green backs, i think we ahve seen a manipulation of recruiting the next manager, no manager in place during the transfer window means he doesn't have to offer any new man an immediate tranfer kitty, and probably can delay this now right into next summer.

Problem with all this is the message it sends out which is becoming obvious, seems nobody is really that arsed to take the job, which most be unique for a Premiership club, obviously we don't know whats going on behind the scenes but its a pretty safe bet that the press would get hold of it.

IMO and i'm afraid to say Villa are going to end up with something of nothing runnig the show, may even by DOL back at the wheel. Wink

And he says hundreds of millions............where Laughing ? Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:54 am

Malachite wrote:You could say deluded, you could say naive and you could say self important and in fairness you could say a little accuracy.

Firstly you have to look at the Lerner family history and how they have shaped the Cleveland Browns.

Then you have to look at MON's and Lerners relationship, it was obvious back in Jan that there was no more money for MON, so he's already got one foot out the door back then.

And then the most obvious truth of all for me, Lerner simply doesn't have the disposable income to spend on a football club that is required to keep that club at the top of the worlds most expensive League. In Spite of the type of player MON signed, the state Villa where in when MOn took it over said to many you could throw 200ml and still not get the squad you want, aka Man City.

I think there was a breakdown of trust between MON and Lerner, in part brought about by MON and his failure to get the right players and also but not least we have seen a side to our chairman that most Villa fans deluded themselves that this fella would die for Villa, its obvious he would only die for Villa if it didn't cost him any more green backs, i think we ahve seen a manipulation of recruiting the next manager, no manager in place during the transfer window means he doesn't have to offer any new man an immediate tranfer kitty, and probably can delay this now right into next summer.

Problem with all this is the message it sends out which is becoming obvious, seems nobody is really that arsed to take the job, which most be unique for a Premiership club, obviously we don't know whats going on behind the scenes but its a pretty safe bet that the press would get hold of it.

IMO and i'm afraid to say Villa are going to end up with something of nothing runnig the show, may even by DOL back at the wheel. Wink

Well he bought Villa for 65m
Gave MON 120m in transfer fees
Wages every year, at least in the 20/30m range

and yeah you could say 'but it's all revenue generated by the club' but most of it was his own money.

Interesting fact about MON - He has never managed a club for more then 4-5 years at a time....
Jay.P.A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:02 am

Jay.P.A wrote:
Malachite wrote:You could say deluded, you could say naive and you could say self important and in fairness you could say a little accuracy.

Well he bought Villa for 65m
Gave MON 120m in transfer fees
Wages every year, at least in the 20/30m range

and yeah you could say 'but it's all revenue generated by the club' but most of it was his own money.

Interesting fact about MON - He has never managed a club for more then 4-5 years at a time....

To be fair very few do these days - I think when he left Villa only Fergie, Wenger and Moyes had been with their club for longer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:04 am

Jay: Lerner, well you have to discount what he paid for the club, i mean you can't get something for nothing in essence, that is unless your at a bar with Luton, then old tight wads gets all his drinks for nothing, don't worry we can say this sh1t without worrying about him accusing us of Tosh, anyway i digress, he got the club for a song, so i can't see where he as spent hundreds of millions.

As for MON being a quitter, he is known for it lets face it, he's not the kind of bloke to go to the bitter end and face the firing squad, shame really because leaving the club in the lurch that close to the start of the season is a bit under handed IMO.

Anyway between me and you yes i agree Luton is probably the worlds biggest tosser Cheerleader and he's Irish, so he's a tosser with poetic licence.. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 am

Very Happy
Jay.P.A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:17 pm

The jury is out on Lerner. So far he has braodly supported the club and as the original post suggests there was no way we would spend money after losing the manager so close to the start of the season. Also I don't doubt its difficult to make a new appointment but in my mind we have dragged our heels a little. Lerner will make his position re: money clear in the following transfer windows (maybe he's all spent out) but one thing Villa fans can be certain of is MON fucked us over big time leaving us when he did and wasting many millions on some poor players.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Finn on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 pm

So basically MON was crap and Lerner hasnt got a clue how to run a soccer club ?

Confirms what most Nosers (and Lion) have been saying for years Very Happy
Finn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Finn wrote:So basically MON was crap and Lerner hasnt got a clue how to run a soccer club ?

I know, how they got us to finish above that fine run club in smallheath is unbelievable.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villahagler69 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:00 pm

I have noticed that on some other Villa forums that there is quite a lot of conspiracy theories being thrown around. RL asked for KMac to make his thoughts known about the vacancy by Aug 31st? This descision falls bag on transfer deadline day, a perfect excuse/reason to not spend a penny before it shuts. A lot of people are also believing that the job is/always has been KMacs since ONeill fecked off? We dont have the money for a big named managers salary or a compo pay out if required.

I have know idea if any of this is true or false, when I read Generals Krulaks replies to the onslaught they make sense. He hints that the best man will be offered the job, that Villa is still in its 5 year plan, blah blah blah???

I think this time next week we will have a full time manager signed up? Do I believe that persons going to be a surprise,risky, interesting new addition thats going to raise a few eyebrows around the Prem or is it going to be reliable Kevin?

Id back KMac to the hilt even though I definately do not want him to take over, but it wreaks of "smalltime" and it sends the message out loud and clear to our nearest competitors. Aston Villa Football Club are now skint and very much going backwards.

villahagler69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Finn on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
Finn wrote:So basically MON was crap and Lerner hasnt got a clue how to run a soccer club ?

I know, how they got us to finish above that fine run club in smallheath is unbelievable.

The finger pointing is bizarre after 3 very good seasons Huh
Finn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 pm

villainies wrote:The jury is out on Lerner. So far he has broadly supported the club and as the original post suggests there was no way we would spend money after losing the manager so close to the start of the season. Also I don't doubt its difficult to make a new appointment but in my mind we have dragged our heels a little. Lerner will make his position re: money clear in the following transfer windows (maybe he's all spent out) but one thing Villa fans can be certain of is MON fucked us over big time leaving us when he did and wasting many millions on some poor players.

Villainies: There seems to be a lot of misinformation about Randy Lerner, mainly due i feel to the fact that he basically rescued a team ( Villa) as opposed to buying out and investing into a team, so in other words you have the grateful emotion now rather than, we now expect better and more emotion.

Personally as good a job as RL i feel has done i also think you have to take a balanced view and also an informed view of a chairman that we don't see on this side of the Atlantic. Firstly he got Villa for a few quid, lets not kid ourselves, he paid for Villa what most people would pay for a good Championship side, fair play, good businessman, recognized the window of opportunity and grasped it.

The thing you have to bare in mind is that the Cleveland Browns are in as much turmoil almost permanently as Villa are in now, they have a turnover of people at the top that would dwarf any other club in the NFL, once a general manager or team director steps out of line, like asking for money, Lerner waves there contract at them and they are history. He is also known to take on the most obscure characters in managing the team based on more to do with getting the right terms than getting the right ability.

So with reference to your and Villahaglers statement, i could well believe, that KM could quite easily get the job and Villa will experience a tenure of mediocrity, i also believe that RL may have made the decision that he will simply spend no more money period and as he did with the Browns, continue with that policy right into the lower league or the Championship.

Browns fans are screaming at him to sell and they are not a happy club, he seems quite happy to manage that ill feeling, makes you wonder if thats soemthing esle that appealed about Villa, although i doubt that.

Some comments that seem to capture the feeling from a NFL mag

"The Browns are a bad, dull team. They have a control freak for a coach, a general manager with a lower profile than their players' touchdown production, and an owner who shuns the public eye the way most of his peers court it.

"It seems to be the perfect storm of bad developments, and fans, in the 11th season of the team's eternal rebuilding process,
have raised the hue and cry. If this were a more rural area, owner Randy Lerner might be chased by a mob carrying pitchforks".

"Thank you to everyone that signed the petition. Although Randy Lerner has made it clear that he has no intention of selling the Cleveland Browns, by hiring Mike Holmgren as the team president he has responded to the angry fans and admitted that he is not the man who should be hiring the "football people." Hopefully Holmgren can do a better job building the Browns organization than Lerner did".

"Go Browns".

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:44 am

villainies wrote:The jury is out on Lerner. So far he has braodly supported the club and as the original post suggests there was no way we would spend money after losing the manager so close to the start of the season. Also I don't doubt its difficult to make a new appointment but in my mind we have dragged our heels a little. Lerner will make his position re: money clear in the following transfer windows (maybe he's all spent out) but one thing Villa fans can be certain of is MON fucked us over big time leaving us when he did and wasting many millions on some poor players.

You don't half come out with some utter bilge Mad
QBVILLA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:50 am

Open your eyes QB he had shafted us massively by leaving 5 days before the season starts and take a good look at this little lot:

Shaun Maloney
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Curtis Davies
Zat Knight
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Nigel Reo-Coker
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Emile Heskey
Stewart Downing
Fabian Delph
Habib Beye

£65million quid there No
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 am

villainies wrote:Open your eyes QB he had shafted us massively by leaving 5 days before the season starts and take a good look at this little lot:

Shaun Maloney
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Curtis Davies
Zat Knight
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Nigel Reo-Coker
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Emile Heskey
Stewart Downing
Fabian Delph
Habib Beye

£65million quid there No

Yes, Delph was a ridiculous bit of business, getting a knee injury, we should have known that would happen. Tosspot

roadoftrinity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 am

villainies wrote:Open your eyes QB he had shafted us massively by leaving 5 days before the season starts and take a good look at this little lot:

Shaun Maloney
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Curtis Davies
Zat Knight
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Nigel Reo-Coker
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Emile Heskey
Stewart Downing
Fabian Delph
Habib Beye

£65million quid there No

Delph and Downing will come good.Davies has looked a good player when he's had a sustained run in the side.carson was on loan.He got his money back plus on Knight and maloney.Reo Coker is a valuable squad member, IMO he should be a regular starter.I'll give you the rest, though at the time Sidwell was a signing that was welcomed.
On the flipside how about
Milner
Carew
A.Young
L.Young
Collins
Dunne
friedel
Warnock
Cuellar

We don't know his reasons for leaving and possibly never will.However, the club and the playing staff are far superior now than they were when he took over.Our biggest problem is fans liek you who are never fecking happy
QBVILLA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:21 am

QBVILLA wrote:

Shaun Maloney
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Curtis Davies
Zat Knight
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Nigel Reo-Coker
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Emile Heskey
Stewart Downing
Fabian Delph
Habib Beye

£65million quid there No

Delph and Downing will come good.Davies has looked a good player when he's had a sustained run in the side.carson was on loan.He got his money back plus on Knight and maloney.Reo Coker is a valuable squad member, IMO he should be a regular starter.I'll give you the rest, though at the time Sidwell was a signing that was welcomed.
On the flipside how about
Milner
Carew
A.Young
L.Young
Collins
Dunne
friedel
Warnock
Cuellar

We don't know his reasons for leaving and possibly never will.However, the club and the playing staff are far superior now than they were when he took over.Our biggest problem is fans liek you who are never fecking happy

Yeah, you tell him, QB !!! Feckin duffle coat, turned up Lee Cooper wearing treehugger. Rolling Eyes
I bet he's tried to be a pipe puffer in his time too. Wink

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:39 am

BAH! I'm happy but I want to be happier and banging NRC on the bench for 18 months doesn't make me happy it makes me think he isn't up to it. If we'd had a few more of those good signings and a few less of the dross maybe we could've sustained the challenge or succeded in the cups. My own view is that MON had reached the glass ceiling and would continue to bounce off it even with another £30m. Another manager can break through if given a similar opportunity.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Shaun Maloney
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Curtis Davies
Zat Knight
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Nigel Reo-Coker
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Emile Heskey
Stewart Downing
Fabian Delph (Bit harsh to include him in this list, the guy suffered a serious injury, but can come back to full form after recovering.)
Habib Beye

£65million quid there No

Out of that list, I would highlight the following:

Shaun Maloney (had a good run in the team but silly fecker got homesick - he's a footballer.)
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Fabian Delph
Habib Beye;

for being questionable signings.

The rest, Davies, Knight, Heskey, NRC, all done a solid job for us, and saying that they were rubbish would be a disservice to them IMO.

Last edited by Jay.P.A on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay.P.A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 pm

villainies wrote:BAH! I'm happy but I want to be happier and banging NRC on the bench for 18 months doesn't make me happy it makes me think he isn't up to it. If we'd had a few more of those good signings and a few less of the dross maybe we could've sustained the challenge or succeded in the cups. My own view is that MON had reached the glass ceiling and would continue to bounce off it even with another £30m. Another manager can break through if given a similar opportunity.

I'll have a quid with you now that we won't get as many points as last season nor have such good cup runs regardless of who the manager is.Meanwhile O'Neill will be back in football as soon as he decides that he wants to.O'Neill did reach the ceiling for Villa, 6th is punching above our weight.Any fan of any other club will tell you that, it's about time our fans got realistic
QBVILLA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Jay.P.A wrote:

Shaun Maloney
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Curtis Davies
Zat Knight
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Nigel Reo-Coker
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Emile Heskey
Stewart Downing
Fabian Delph (Bit harsh to include him in this list, the guy suffered a serious injury, but can come back to full form after recovering.)
Habib Beye

£65million quid there No

Shaun Maloney (had a good run in the team but silly fecker got homesick - he's a footballer.)
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Fabian Delph
Habib Beye;

The rest, Davies, Knight, Heskey, NRC, all done a solid job for us, and saying that they were rubbish would be a disservice to them IMO.

Maloney did well as a sub for us and went back to Celtic because of home sickness and if i remember correctly we got a bit more back than we paid.Salifou was a £250k gamble from abroad, how many times has O'Neill been slagged off for not taking a punt on an unknown foreigner??? Carson was on loan and at the time was rated at £10 million.Until his almighty balls up against Croatia he looked a top keeper, afterwards his confidence was shot and O'Neill didn't sign him, so where's the problem on that? as for delph, give the kid a chance ffs
QBVILLA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:14 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
villainies wrote:BAH! I'm happy but I want to be happier and banging NRC on the bench for 18 months doesn't make me happy it makes me think he isn't up to it. If we'd had a few more of those good signings and a few less of the dross maybe we could've sustained the challenge or succeded in the cups. My own view is that MON had reached the glass ceiling and would continue to bounce off it even with another £30m. Another manager can break through if given a similar opportunity.

I'll have a quid with you now that we won't get as many points as last season nor have such good cup runs regardless of who the manager is.Meanwhile O'Neill will be back in football as soon as he decides that he wants to.O'Neill did reach the ceiling for Villa, 6th is punching above our weight.Any fan of any other club will tell you that, it's about time our fans got realistic

With the exception of Venglos(who only had one season) EVERY Villa manager in the last twenty years has made 6th and Taylor, Atkinson and Little did far better - none of them had anything like the dosh that MON had

The only one of them who resorted to neanderthal football was Taylor and given the fact that he inherited a relegated team in DIV 2 he can be forgiven for that - what is Mon´s excuse?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
Jay.P.A wrote:

Shaun Maloney
Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Curtis Davies
Zat Knight
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Nigel Reo-Coker
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Emile Heskey
Stewart Downing
Habib Beye

£65million quid there No

Wayne Routledge
Moustapha Salifou
Scott Carson
Marlon Harewood
Steve Sidwell
Nicky Shorey
Fabian Delph
Habib Beye;

Maloney did well as a sub for us and went back to Celtic because of home sickness and if i remember correctly we got a bit more back than we paid.Salifou was a £250k gamble from abroad, how many times has O'Neill been slagged off for not taking a punt on an unknown foreigner??? Carson was on loan and at the time was rated at £10 million.Until his almighty balls up against Croatia he looked a top keeper, afterwards his confidence was shot and O'Neill didn't sign him, so where's the problem on that? as for delph, give the kid a chance ffs

About Carson, I thought he was shite in all honesty. Made a few good saves, but let a few 'easy' ones too, IIRC. Only reason why he was valued so high was because he was a 'young english goalkeeper'. Thank God MON didn't sign him!
Jay.P.A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 pm

QBVILLA wrote:

How is 6th punching above our weight when we're 5th in the league table since the premier league started and we've just spent £130 odd million.

AMBITION
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Lionheart wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:

With the exception of Venglos(who only had one season) EVERY Villa manager in the last twenty years has made 6th and Taylor, Atkinson and Little did far better - none of them had anything like the dosh that MON had

The only one of them who resorted to neanderthal football was Taylor and given the fact that he inherited a relegated team in DIV 2 he can be forgiven for that - what is Mon´s excuse?

Once again you come up with that tripe.Do you not think that it may just have something to do with the quality of the opposition nowadays?Come on Lion, that really is a wank argument.
I also remember 16th under Taylor and O'leary.18th (when it was a 22 team division) in the season that Ron was replaced by Little and then little leaving us in the bottom 5.Not to forget the Gregory years where he spent in comparison a shed load of cash on players who had little or no sell on value
and i remember being really pissed off watching the boring football O'neill's team served up a couple of years back when we scored over 70 league goals.you're talking utter shite
QBVILLA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top