Football Hero

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Football Hero

Post  villainies on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:37 pm

My first football hero was Gordon Cowans. To this day he remains my favourite Villa player since I've followed them, pleased to see he got top spot in the Top 50 player countdown on the OS. We need a Sid in midfield these days.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2399746,00.html
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Football Hero

Post  villanfromluton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 pm

My first Villa hero was Bruce Rioch, great left foot. Cowans was a brilliant footballer, but the press had the infatuation with Hoddle around the same period
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:16 pm

My first Villa hero was Peter Enkleman. Now there was a player who could handle a high profile game and wouldn't buckle under the pressure. How I cried when he left Crying or Very sad

Tilton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Tilton wrote:My first Villa hero was Peter Enkleman. Now there was a player who could handle a high profile game and wouldn't buckle under the pressure. How I cried when he left Crying or Very sad

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:33 pm

Tilton wrote:My first Villa hero was Peter Enkleman. Now there was a player who could handle a high profile game and wouldn't buckle under the pressure. How I cried when he left Crying or Very sad

Tosspot Embarassed
villanfromluton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Alan McInally.He was the main man when i first started foolowing the Villa and to this day has GENUINE affinity towards the club.After him it was Shaun Teale and of course Paul McGrath, who was the only Villa player i've seen who i'd say was world class.Yorke and Platt came close and begrudgingly i'd say Yorke had two seasons at United when he was in that category.
QBVILLA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Bonds on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:44 pm

villanfromluton wrote:

Tosspot Embarassed
cheers cheers

Billy Bonds
Sir Twat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 pm

I'll have to start with Bobby Moore. Then, in no particular order, and for a variety of reasons:
Billy Bonds
Trevor Brooking
Frank MacAvennie
Tony Cottee
John Moncur
Paolo di Canio
Stuart Pearce
Scottie P

Some stayed longer than others and I must have missed some names, but there's room in my heart for all of them.
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Paolo was definitely my first hero. And I was always Stan Lazaridis when playing in the back garden. Feck knows why.

Back to top Go down

Post  Reddi! on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:46 pm

QBVILLA wrote:Alan McInally.He was the main man when i first started foolowing the Villa and to this day has GENUINE affinity towards the club.After him it was Shaun Teale and of course Paul McGrath, who was the only Villa player i've seen who i'd say was world class.Yorke and Platt came close and begrudgingly i'd say Yorke had two seasons at United when he was in that category.

I thought yours was Andy Lockhead as you've copied his hairstyle since! Very Happy
Reddi!

View user profile http://www.yma-associates.com

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:Paolo was definitely my first hero. And I was always Stan Lazaridis when playing in the back garden. Feck knows why.

Probably cos he was shite as well
villanfromluton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:12 am

My first ever football hero was Laurie Brown! There's been lots since, including Denis Law but Dennis Bergkamp definately takes the biscuit.

jpr60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:23 pm

jpr60 wrote:My first ever football hero was Laurie Brown! There's been lots since, including Denis Law but Dennis Bergkamp definately takes the biscuit.

Laurie Brown? Very Happy
Mine was David Jenkins. Very Happy

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:43 pm

JPR, never heard of Laurie Brown, what era was that if you dont mind me asking and no, Im not taking the mick. Jak, was David Jenkins a left winger by any chance, probably wrong bloke, did he play for Southampton?
villanfromluton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:01 pm

villanfromluton wrote:JPR, never heard of Laurie Brown, what era was that if you dont mind me asking and no, Im not taking the mick. Jak, was David Jenkins a left winger by any chance, probably wrong bloke, did he play for Southampton?

These were two players we managed to dump on the Spuds. Very Happy Very Happy
Both were failures at the Spuds. The two signings still grate with Spuds I know, partularly so with Jenkins for whom we got Jimmy Robertson in exchange, a far superior player.

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Jimmy Robertson was a right winger, was he or am I talking more tosh Embarassed
villanfromluton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:14 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Jimmy Robertson was a right winger, was he or am I talking more tosh Embarassed

You are correct. A good old fashioned winger.

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Robertson played for Stoke I think in the early 70's with Harry Burrows on the other wing
villanfromluton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:03 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Robertson played for Stoke I think in the early 70's with Harry Burrows on the other wing

Early 70's. I wasn't even a twinkle in my old man's eye then. Seems your long term memory is OK, bet you aint got a clue where the feck you've been today though........Werthers?

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:05 pm

villanfromluton wrote:JPR, never heard of Laurie Brown, what era was that if you dont mind me asking and no, Im not taking the mick. Jak, was David Jenkins a left winger by any chance, probably wrong bloke, did he play for Southampton?

Laurie Brown, a good, old-fashioned battling centre-half. I think we got him from Northampton, early '60's - gave everything for 90 minutes. Stomped out of Arsenal claiming he was the best of the two centre-halves after we'd signed Ian Ure (in retrospect he was probably right) and was signed by Tottingham -it was all downhill for him from then on, of course.

jpr60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:26 pm

My true favourites as a youngster were Jack Kelsey, David Herd and I loved watching George Eastham who was a really great player, a pity he wasn't part of a better Arsenal side.

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:31 pm

jak wrote:My true favourites as a youngster were Jack Kelsey, David Herd and I loved watching George Eastham who was a really great player, a pity he wasn't part of a better Arsenal side.

Loved Kelsey, Eastham too and I think Joe Baker was as good a striker as I've ever seen. Same as with Eastham, if these two had played in a better overall Arsenal squad we wouldn't have had to wait 'till 1969 before winning something!

jpr60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:31 pm

George Eastham was in the Stoke league cup winning team as well wasnt he? JPR, cant honestly say heard of Laurie Brown, before my time, but read back on Villa games and cant remember the name. Might be the shock of having to buy a round of drinks Wink
villanfromluton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:39 pm

villanfromluton wrote:George Eastham was in the Stoke league cup winning team as well wasnt he? JPR, cant honestly say heard of Laurie Brown, before my time, but read back on Villa games and cant remember the name. Might be the shock of having to buy a round of drinks Wink

Yes indeed, you mind how you go there Lutes (I suppose you had some pocket money left over after the holiday,e?)!

jpr60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Hardly spent a bean on holiday JPR, except for well deserved tips and some fake sunglasses for the kids. My first occassion of seeing Arsenal was 72/73 season in FA Cup replay when we beat you 2-0, with Sammy Morgan scaring the life out of Bob Wilson, few days after he had been sent off in 1-1 draw at Highbury. Best Arsenal player I can think of is Liam Brady, what a genius
villanfromluton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top