The pursuit of mediocrity

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The pursuit of mediocrity

Post  villainies on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:27 am

http://www.thevillablog.co.uk/aston-villa-blog/aston-villa-views/the-pursuit-of-mediocrity/

Tend to agree that Lerner is in full scale retreat.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The pursuit of mediocrity

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:30 am

villainies wrote:http://www.thevillablog.co.uk/aston-villa-blog/aston-villa-views/the-pursuit-of-mediocrity/

Or maybe it's the fact that we have been making massive losses and due to the financial fair play rules we need to get our funds in check.

People always love to blame somebody, it was only January when we forked out £24 million on Darren Bent.

roadoftrinity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 am

roadoftrinity wrote:
villainies wrote:http://www.thevillablog.co.uk/aston-villa-blog/aston-villa-views/the-pursuit-of-mediocrity/

Or maybe it's the fact that we have been making massive losses and due to the financial fair play rules we need to get our funds in check.

People always love to blame somebody, it was only January when we forked out £24 million on Darren Bent.

Yes but that was with the money received for Milner and in the knowledge that we would also be selling Ashley young for near 20m at the end of the season.

There isn't much point adhering to the financial fair play rules if your not going to be good enough to qualify for european competitions anyway as then those rules will not effect us. But then it was clear that the spending of money like we was, was not viable in the long term.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:

There isn't much point adhering to the financial fair play rules if your not going to be good enough to qualify for european competitions anyway as then those rules will not effect us. But then it was clear that the spending of money like we was, was not viable in the long term.

But then also there isn't much point chucking loads of money at it, qualifying for Europe only to be told you can't play in Europe.

We couldn't spend money like we were, our wage bill was and still it to high. We can only hope that once we have some of the massive earners of the book, Randy will re-invest a bit. Who knows, I certainly don't blame Randy.

He tried, and a number of issues came against him, Man City, recession, we couldn't fill the ground so no expansion or extra revenue there. etc

The Chelsea chairman said the other that, when Abromavich was looking to buy a club, Aston Villa were for sale but as it wasn't in London he couldn't see any scalability there, and he was right.

roadoftrinity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Totally agree with ROT, think Lerner is getting far too much criticism. Never agreed with the appointment of McLeish, but am prepared to give him a chance.
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:17 pm

We just have to settle for being a mid table team really, some years we might do well and finish near to 6th some we might do bad and finish nearer to 12th.

Its quite boring really, and if ticket prices and travel costs keep on rising like they are then even I will have to start cutting back. Its becoming too expensive. What used to have cost not much more then £20 in petrol up to Manchester and back last week doubled to nearly £40, Sunderland this weekend decided on the coach and thats gone up to £25 still so not much saving compared to driving. Ticket prices rising most games used to be around the £30 mark, now they are all up to £40. I might take my self off the away scheme for next season, you can only return two away game tickets in a season and I've already returned Qpr because it was £49 now its who do I use my last return for? Newcastle because the journey is a killer or Chelsea because it will be another £49 ticket..

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:

That was only sanctioned on the basis that the Young deal was already done though. Last summer was his last chance to spend some big money before the rules come into play but he didn't spend a penny. We could've moved on Heskey, Petrov, Collins, Ireland and got in better players without drastically increasing the wage bill for next year. I think it's damage limitation for Randy from now on. I hope for his sake that we don't get dragged into the relegation scrap, without Young and Downing it could be very tricky.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:49 pm

villainies wrote: We could've moved on Heskey, Petrov, Collins, Ireland and got in better players without drastically increasing the wage bill for next year.

How could we move them on?

roadoftrinity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:
villainies wrote: We could've moved on Heskey, Petrov, Collins, Ireland and got in better players without drastically increasing the wage bill for next year.

Let them go free.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:40 pm

villainies wrote:
roadoftrinity wrote:

Let them go free.

You mean pay off their contracts to leave? As you still need someone to take over their expensive contracts, to pay off their contacts would probably cost £20 million at least. You are a genius, that would free up some money wouldn't it.

And that's not even including the loyalty bonus's we would have to pay.

roadoftrinity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:57 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:
villainies wrote:
roadoftrinity wrote:

Let them go free.

You mean pay off their contracts to leave? As you still need someone to take over their expensive contracts, to pay off their contacts would probably cost £20 million at least. You are a genius, that would free up some money wouldn't it.

Yeh hardly removing the wage bill is it, and then needing to go and buy replacements at inflated prices, signing on fee's agent fee's more wages.

Great idea!

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:We just have to settle for being a mid table team really, some years we might do well and finish near to 6th some we might do bad and finish nearer to 12th.

Its quite boring really, and if ticket prices and travel costs keep on rising like they are then even I will have to start cutting back. Its becoming too expensive. What used to have cost not much more then £20 in petrol up to Manchester and back last week doubled to nearly £40, Sunderland this weekend decided on the coach and thats gone up to £25 still so not much saving compared to driving. Ticket prices rising most games used to be around the £30 mark, now they are all up to £40. I might take my self off the away scheme for next season, you can only return two away game tickets in a season and I've already returned Qpr because it was £49 now its who do I use my last return for? Newcastle because the journey is a killer or Chelsea because it will be another £49 ticket..

It is a tragedy that the true football fans are being priced out of the game.
I have fond memories of my dad taking my brother and myself to see The Arsenal. What sort of wage has a man got to be earning to be able to do that today?

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:18 pm

So who is to blame for our current predicament then?

We all acknowledge we had an obscene wage bill with average players sitting on big wages and paying transfer fees for average middle of the run Prem players..

So was it Oneil for spending recklessly or Lerner for not having the hindsight to foresee what was happening or having someone in control who could see it coming..

OR do we just put it down to..we tried we failed and now its time to just be a 8-15th placed Club..
ADRIAN_1976

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:49 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:So who is to blame for our current predicament then?

We all acknowledge we had an obscene wage bill with average players sitting on big wages and paying transfer fees for average middle of the run Prem players..

So was it Oneil for spending recklessly or Lerner for not having the hindsight to foresee what was happening or having someone in control who could see it coming..

OR do we just put it down to..we tried we failed and now its time to just be a 8-15th placed Club..

I think we can say they are all factors, MON spent large amounts of money on some average players and whoever negotiated the contracts seems to have overpaid them. Lerner should have also taken control of the finances sooner. And yes we gave it a go and failed we should really have finished 4th that year we was 9 points clear of Arsenal with only 3 months of the season to go. If we had then extra income from Champions League would have maintained our spending and salary outlay.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:38 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:
villainies wrote:
roadoftrinity wrote:

Let them go free.

Let them go to another club and they pick up the salary or Lerner takes the hit. The point is the books don't need to balance this year so if RL was still into it he could've stumped up some cash so that we weren't stuck with a shitty midfield. Relegation will cost him more than £20million in the long run, he'd get 4 big salaries off the books possibly only need a defender, 1 rather than 2 decent CM and another striker. I assume new contracts are being offered with the new rules in mind so not the over inflated salaries that MON paid.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:47 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:So who is to blame for our current predicament then?

Lerner mostly. He's pretty hands off but he is responsible for appointing Faulkner who from what I hear hasn't got a scooby. Faulkner should never have let MON free to do the purchasing he did and offer contracts that are still shafting us now.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 pm

villainies wrote:

Lerner mostly. He's pretty hands off but he is responsible for appointing Faulkner who from what I hear hasn't got a scooby. Faulkner should never have let MON free to do the purchasing he did and offer contracts that are still shafting us now.

Well we know that you hear loads of bullshit after claiming you "heard" that Moyes was going to be manager. Very Happy

Also, Faulkner was only appointed at CEO a couple of years ago, so to blame him for MON's spending is a ridiculous statement from you. I'm not saying Faulkner isn't hopeless, as he has been involved in picking our last two managers, but he wasn't CEO for the majority of MON's flamboyant spending, it's Randy and the thought of the Champions League that took our spending over the top there.

No one is to blame really, it's just circumstances and as AVFC said, if we had made Champions League when we should, then we may well not have had this problem.

roadoftrinity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:41 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:
villainies wrote:

Well we know that you hear loads of bullshit after claiming you "heard" that Moyes was going to be manager. Very Happy

Also, Faulkner was only appointed at CEO a couple of years ago, so to blame him for MON's spending is a ridiculous statement from you. I'm not saying Faulkner isn't hopeless, as he has been involved in picking our last two managers, but he wasn't CEO for the majority of MON's flamboyant spending, it's Randy and the thought of the Champions League that took our spending over the top there.

No one is to blame really, it's just circumstances and as AVFC said, if we had made Champions League when we should, then we may well not have had this problem.

He was chief operating officer for two years before that, he oversaw some of the worst MON deals as well as the farce that was appointing a manager this summer. Whilst I think he shoulders the blame for our lack of vision and bad decision making, he is RL's man so responsibility lies with him.
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villahagler69 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm

In all honesty I wish Randy, Faulkner and McCleish would all feck off. Randy gave it a good go and massive respect for that but his time didnt bring a trophy and I think we are now heading downwards the arse end of the Premier League.
I have no idea who would buy Aston Villa or whether theyd be much better or much worse but at least it would make things interesting again. The mediocre football and the distinct lack of ambition is not winning us any fans, not even our own.

villahagler69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Its easier said than done saying feck off Randy. Who is going to take over, are we that great a catch, I certainly dont think we are. Think some of us need to be a bit realistic
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villahagler69 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Its easier said than done saying feck off Randy. Who is going to take over, are we that great a catch, I certainly dont think we are. Think some of us need to be a bit realistic

I said "I wish" they would feck off and whether thats easier said than done I have no idea. If there are more billionaire families/business men outhere that are interested in purchasing a Premier League football club I think we are as an attractive proposition as most. Man City wouldnt have been anyones favourite to be purchased and backed before Sheik MeHandy came in.
Its neither here nor there whether Im being realistic or not. My post was simply me stating that Im fed up with the current owner,CEO, manager and to be honest the majority of our playing staff. As currently its all pretty shite supporting Aston Villa.

villahagler69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jak on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:04 pm

You've gotta keep the faith. Anything can happen in football.

jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:08 pm

I haven't heard mention of General Krulak (sp) recently. Is he still on the scene?
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Bedshammer wrote:I haven't heard mention of General Krulak (sp) recently. Is he still on the scene?

Think he keeps a low profile after upsetting a number of supporters with his comments on that fans forum

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  villahagler69 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:09 pm

jak wrote:You've gotta keep the faith. Anything can happen in football.

The faith will always be kept, thats the problem with loving your football club Violin

Just the interest and optimism thats fading. Sleep

villahagler69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top