Safe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Safe

Post  villainies on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Can't see three teams passing us now so its rebuild time in the summer. Also can't see anyone taking D Bent off our hands so AM will have to work on a team that can supply him what he needs and cope with his low workrate.

We won't have a fortune but need some experience in the team. Dunne needs replacing, Petrov won't be playing again so someone in the middle is more crucial than ever. Don't know what will happen with Zog but he doesn't look like he is going to settle so he'll need replacing too. And I'd like to see at least one of the FB's replaced. Big summer coming up for AM.
avatar
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Posts : 6323
Join date : 2009-05-26
Location : Bristol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Hopefully without AM.
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  villainies on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:55 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:Hopefully without AM.

No I reckon he's pretty safe too.
avatar
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Posts : 6323
Join date : 2009-05-26
Location : Bristol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  Jay.P.A on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Well it's been reported we'll have a bit of money to spend in the transfer window, I'd think we'll get anywhere from 10-20m for transfers, but that'll probably include signing on fee and all that, etc.

As for actual transfer targets, it's all good and well saying we need RB's, LB's, CM's etc, but we need to start identifing targets. No doubt AMc will already have targets in mind, and will make moves in the summer.

In my opinion:

Goalkeepers:
We're fine here, Shay Given is a solid goalie, even though he's not been as good as his Newcastle days - but we need to give Brad Guzan a contract - thats if he wants to stay here. No doubt, he's a great shot stopper, and a better penalty saver then Shay Given, but he's not getting any playing time really. I could see him leaving and going to another Premiership or Championship club and being a solid No 1 goalie. If thats the case, then that means we either promote our goalie from the reserves to be our No 2, or buy a new one, because Marshall is getting on a bit, and I don't even think he's played a competitive game for us.

Defenders:
Reckon we'll see a big change here. Dunne and Collins aren't cutting it. I think both are good defenders and were brilliant in their first season but for two seasons now, they've looked a mess.

Warnock and Hutton are shite IMO. Both can defend (average at best), but both offer **** all going foward. Eric Lichaj looks like a better player then Hutton for the RB spot. For the LB spot, when Warnock's not busy scoring great own goals, he's been ok defensively, unless he's been bullied by Michael Kightly. Have no idea how Edna Stevens as a player, but he has no PL experiance, so we might need to get a new LB. Think there were rumours of MON wanting Warnock at Sunderland, if thats the case, sell him ASAP. We still got Clark as well.

Midfielders:
We need to get Danny Guthrie from Newcastle. He's on a free, and I'd consider him a direct replacement for Stan Petrov. I think he's a good player, can pass the ball as well as put in a few tackles.
We definitely need a new winger. We've signed Brett Holmann but he's more like Dirk Kuyt then Aaron Lennon if you know what I mean, he's a decent player, will get a few goals and assists here and there.
If N'Zogbia doesn't want to step up to the buck then sell him. But I'd give him another season to sort himself out.

Our midfield looks like this: Herd, Gardner, Ireland, Bannan, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Delph (injured), Makoun (loan).

Not a popular opinion here, but I'd also give Makoun another chance next season. A midfield trio of Gardner/Herd, Ireland and Makoun could work very well IMO.

Strikers:
I think we're ok upfront, as long as Darren Bent stays, and stay fit during the season, we'll be ok as long as we create chances. Gabby....is not performing at the moment, but can't really blame him when our creativity is at an all time low. He's used to feeding off Young, Downing and Milner, now he's feeding off the long ball from Collins, and being sent into the channels by Petrov and Ireland. Weimann looks a great prospect, get rid of Delfouneso IMO.

I'd train Gabby into a left winger. He can definitely cross a good ball into the box. Just ask Darren Bent.

Players we should get rid of (or I think are going to go):
Guzan
Cuellar
Warnock
Delph
Makoun
Heskey

Wouldn't want Guzan, Cuellar or one out of Delph/Makoun to go, but I reckon it might happen.
avatar
Jay.P.A

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  QBVILLA on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:03 pm

I'd rather give Bannan, Gardner and Herd the opportunity to nail down first team places than sign Guthrie. I'd also prefer to keep Delph and give him a real crack at establishing himself.
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  villainies on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:37 pm

QBVILLA wrote:I'd rather give Bannan, Gardner and Herd the opportunity to nail down first team places than sign Guthrie. I'd also prefer to keep Delph and give him a real crack at establishing himself.

If we rely too heavily on the youngsters next year we'll get relegated. A couple of them are good enough as part of a more experienced team but not 5 or 6.
avatar
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Posts : 6323
Join date : 2009-05-26
Location : Bristol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  QBVILLA on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 pm

I agree with that, but don't see Guthrie as being an improvement. Decent enough player but not good enough to block one of the aforementioned place in the first team
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Think maybe Delph might not cut it.. he's had too many injury worries.. hope im wrong..

If a new manager comes in the wouldn't mind giving Makoun another chance.. 50/50 thou..

Guthrie i thought was rubbish but a few times i've seen Newcastle play recently he's looked quiet good.. might not be a bad shout on a freebie.. obv prefer to get someone better in..

We have to do a lot this summer to improve the squad.. i think there will be around 10M available plus whatever is sold and free transfers..

We have talent no doubt.. the right manager can get us playing well.. Ireland Bent Gabby Weimenn Gardner Bannon Herd Lihaj all offer huge potential.. its the back we need to rebuild totally..
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  roadoftrinity on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Bannan for all his talent gives the ball away far to often for me and makes very bad descisions.

Delph we should keep, no point getting rid of him, certainly not to bring in Danny
Guthrie. I would be more than happy to see a lot of the youngsters given a run, is Hutton any better than Lichaj? Is Warnock better than anyone?

Don't hold out much hope for next season, I guess Newcatle have shown what can be done, but then if someone came and have us 35 million for Heskey we could have a decent season.

roadoftrinity

Posts : 2849
Join date : 2009-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  Jay.P.A on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:Bannan for all his talent gives the ball away far to often for me and makes very bad descisions.

Delph we should keep, no point getting rid of him, certainly not to bring in Danny
Guthrie. I would be more than happy to see a lot of the youngsters given a run, is Hutton any better than Lichaj? Is Warnock better than anyone?

Don't hold out much hope for next season, I guess Newcatle have shown what can be done, but then if someone came and have us 35 million for Heskey we could have a decent season.

But to be honest, and all credit to Newcastle, they didn't sign any 'superstar' players with the money they got. The only player that came who had a bit of a reputation was Ben Arfa. They even bought Demba Ba after he was rejected by Stoke.

Plus we got 36m from the sales of Young and Downing.
avatar
Jay.P.A

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  roadoftrinity on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 pm

They got Ba after he did well at West Ham. We did get that money for Young and Downing, but the manager only got some of it to spend.

Newcastle have done brilliantly this season, they will be back to mid table next season though and they will most likely still finish 6th. So the best we can hope for is to finished 6th. I can't get excited about that.

roadoftrinity

Posts : 2849
Join date : 2009-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  QBVILLA on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:00 am

Imo Newcastle haven't performed that much better than the teams below them. At St James' against Villa we were the better side, a point which was made by Pardew. They've been kept in countless games by their goalkeeper who for me has been the best keeper in the division outshining Joe Hart. Up front they've got two players who have consistently scored crucial goals. They've done brilliantly and for me Pardew is the stand out candidate for manager of the year. Like i've said though how many times have you seen them dominate games this season? Fine margins in football and this season Newcastle have made them all count.
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  jak on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 am

QBVILLA wrote:Imo Newcastle haven't performed that much better than the teams below them. At St James' against Villa we were the better side, a point which was made by Pardew. They've been kept in countless games by their goalkeeper who for me has been the best keeper in the division outshining Joe Hart. Up front they've got two players who have consistently scored crucial goals. They've done brilliantly and for me Pardew is the stand out candidate for manager of the year. Like i've said though how many times have you seen them dominate games this season? Fine margins in football and this season Newcastle have made them all count.

You're right, QB. You need the rub of the green in football and I think it's fair to say that Newcastle have had that this season. They've done well though.

jak

Posts : 16010
Join date : 2009-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:23 am

Cabaye has been excellent in the middle as well, lets not forget they had a few injury probles also. Think they have done superb and seem to be getting stronger and stronger, though tough run in for them. If you have blokes that score goals, you do tend to get the rub of the green more often
avatar
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Posts : 15241
Join date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 am

villanfromluton wrote:Cabaye has been excellent in the middle as well, lets not forget they had a few injury probles also. Think they have done superb and seem to be getting stronger and stronger, though tough run in for them. If you have blokes that score goals, you do tend to get the rub of the green more often

Agree with that.. think they have players better then other teams outside the so called big 6 clubs..

Fergie was watching there game the other week.. some said to see Ben Arfa and Cabaye..

A lot of crecit goes to there chief scout who is Alan Carr ( Marks bum boy ) comedians dad Very Happy
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:

A lot of crecit goes to there chief scout who is Alan Carr ( Marks bum boy ) comedians dad Very Happy

Has he been there since before Pardew then? If so he does a cracking job.


roadoftrinity

Posts : 2849
Join date : 2009-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Replaced Dennis Wise so 2010 I think he joined, he was responsible for Spurs signing Modric too I believe. Certainly knows his stuff.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Tiote (sp) is another excellent player, reckon Ferige may go for him. Ben arfa's goal the other day was class and he seems to be running into form as well. The defence aint the best on paper, but as QB says the keeper is class and also they seem to work as a team
avatar
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Posts : 15241
Join date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:33 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:
ADRIAN_1976 wrote:

A lot of crecit goes to there chief scout who is Alan Carr ( Marks bum boy ) comedians dad Very Happy

Has he been there since before Pardew then? If so he does a cracking job.


Think he was there before hand.. brought Ben Arfa and i think Enrique to club too..
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:36 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Tiote (sp) is another excellent player, reckon Ferige may go for him. Ben arfa's goal the other day was class and he seems to be running into form as well. The defence aint the best on paper, but as QB says the keeper is class and also they seem to work as a team

Yep they certainly have found some gems..

Fulham have Dempsey as we know but Dembele (sp) is a cracking player and could easily play for one of the top six..

We never seem to find any talent off these shores.. when your limited with just Uk then once the likes of Milner and Young are snapped up then you take punts on players who because there British are over priced and demand big salaries..
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  Jay.P.A on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Even Frei looks quality.
avatar
Jay.P.A

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  villainies on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:12 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:Bannan for all his talent gives the ball away far to often for me and makes very bad descisions.

Delph we should keep, no point getting rid of him, certainly not to bring in Danny
Guthrie. I would be more than happy to see a lot of the youngsters given a run, is Hutton any better than Lichaj? Is Warnock better than anyone?

Don't hold out much hope for next season, I guess Newcatle have shown what can be done, but then if someone came and have us 35 million for Heskey we could have a decent season.

I like Bannan when he plays well but he isn't consistent enough. He didn't play well against Stoke at all. Definitely not good enough to be relied on yet. I thought Lichaj looked out of his depth on Monday too, a good prospect perhaps but not someone yet who I'd want starting every game.
Only Bent would get us big money but I don't think anyone will pay his wages and of course he'd need replacing at a fairly substantial cost. Given we won't have loads to spend it will be very intersting to see how the summer pans out.
avatar
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Posts : 6323
Join date : 2009-05-26
Location : Bristol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm

villainies wrote: it will be very intersting to see how the summer pans out.

If we sign Steven Davis as our midfield mistro then interesting it won't be.

With Bannan, he isn't going to work out wide, I think McLeish should tell him he has got the rest of the season at central midfield and see how he does. We need to have people that can pass the ball better in the center of the park now we don't have the quality to counter attack all the time.

roadoftrinity

Posts : 2849
Join date : 2009-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  villainies on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:
villainies wrote: it will be very intersting to see how the summer pans out.

If we sign Steven Davis as our midfield mistro then interesting it won't be.

With Bannan, he isn't going to work out wide, I think McLeish should tell him he has got the rest of the season at central midfield and see how he does. We need to have people that can pass the ball better in the center of the park now we don't have the quality to counter attack all the time.

If we keep Bent on then he'll have to try and get the very best out of him. Getting that right will be a challenge.
avatar
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Posts : 6323
Join date : 2009-05-26
Location : Bristol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Safe

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum