Bent..

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Well you seem to be alone in your thoughts about him. He swung in some good corners. But overall weak on ball and yes it's good to encourage passes but that doesn't mean hit Hollywood balls..

As for PL keeping him on indicates his games good well then stop fecking moaning when PL decides to leave Bent out of the squad Very Happy
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  Jay.P.A on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:14 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
ADRIAN_1976 wrote:Thought Bannan was poor.. Too many Hollywood passes attempted.

Relief to get the three points and its two clean sheets in a row. Hopefully can build on that..

Benteke is the man...!




He played one pass in the first half which was awful. Apart from that he was looking for the pass to change the game. We should encourage players creativity rather than just passing the shit out of the ball for passing sake. The fact Lambert hooked Weimann and Holman, both who were doing well and left Bannan on is a good indication of Bannan's game. On two occasions his first time passes should've resulted in goals had we been alive in the box. Gabby and Benteke both being caught on their heels.

That's all fine and well but there were at least 5 instances when he tried the 'blind Hollywood' pass, when instead he should have kept possession, looked for a man and then passed it to him. In three of those instances, Reading started a counter attack. I'm all for creativity, but only when the situation arises for it. Look at Ireland - creativity when the situation calls for it. When he came on, you rightly said, it changed the game for us.

Bannan played okay today but we all know he's got it in his locker to play better, we've seen the passes he's capable of, and it's those pin point long diagonals, quick one-twos and the occasional chip - not the 'blind Xavi' type passes. Some of his decisions to where to play the ball were suspect.

All in all a decent enough performance from the team, and a vital 3 points.
avatar
Jay.P.A

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  roadoftrinity on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Thought Bannan did ok, he made a few daft Hollywood style passes, but he was better than Westwood who gave the ball away a few times in the first half from 10 yards.

Need more from Wieman and Gabby in that formation, also think Ireland needs a run of games.

roadoftrinity

Posts : 2849
Join date : 2009-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  QBVILLA on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 am

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:Well you seem to be alone in your thoughts about him. He swung in some good corners. But overall weak on ball and yes it's good to encourage passes but that doesn't mean hit Hollywood balls..

As for PL keeping him on indicates his games good well then stop fecking moaning when PL decides to leave Bent out of the squad Very Happy

If it means i'm disagreeing with you and excitable Jay then i'm happy enough with that. Had the strikers been more switched on two of thos 'Hollywood' passes would have resulted in goals. You'd have been happy enough then and Jay would be producing stats which compared Bannan favourably to Messi. Very Happy
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  jak on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:37 am

I watched Villa last night and thought the team worked very hard. I believe this team has a lower average age than any previous Villa side.
I can see why Bent is not selected.
These youngsters are working very hard for each other, I know there's some poor decision making but that comes with experience but the potential is plain to see. Benteke's enthusiasm shines through.
If Bent was selected his work ethic would not go down well with youngsters who are working their balls off. I know his strike rate is very good but on the days when not much is coming his way and the team is under pressure, he's not so willing to do his bit.
Lambert sees the potential in these kids and he's prepared to run with them as they are without risking them seeing Bent swanning around and thinking they can do the same themselves.
Lambert is clearly sending a message that he won't tolerate a lack of effort, from anybody.
I think he's been brave to do that but he obviously sees the future in this group of younger players.
This season will be a roller coaster for Villa but the improvement is plain to see, for me Lambert is doing the right thing with Bent, there's clearly a problem, I'm sure it's to do with effort more than money.

jak

Posts : 16010
Join date : 2009-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  QBVILLA on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:50 am

Jak, i've heard that levelled against Bent before and I don't subscribe to it. He does his work in and around the penalty area. Something that the so called experts are saying Torres needs to do rather than doing his work elsewhere on the pitch. Hard working players are all well and good, but effort is the one thing every player can and should should without exception. What we need is a bit of craft. Bent has a goalscoring record which stands up against the best. We should be utilising it, not paying him what £60/70/80k a week to sit in the stands. If our season hinges on a 21yr old foreign striker in his first season in England performing on a consistent basis then we're really in the shit.
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am

From an outside perspective I really don't know how there can be a debate over Bent. He's not going to be flying around the pitch trying to win the ball in the centre circler, he'll be standing in the penalty area waiting to put it in. I'd say of all the English strikers in the league right now, only Defoe is a superior penalty area player.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  jak on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:38 am

That's all very well but obviously Lambert does not see it your way and he walked off with 4 points out of 6 without the predator.
As I said on the days when a teams backs are to the wall and the ball is not getting into the oppo area you don't need a man standing around doing feck all.

jak

Posts : 16010
Join date : 2009-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  QBVILLA on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 am

jak wrote:That's all very well but obviously Lambert does not see it your way and he walked off with 4 points out of 6 without the predator.As I said on the days when a teams backs are to the wall and the ball is not getting into the oppo area you don't need a man standing around doing feck all.

Correct. However we also took 9 points out of the previous 33 available. Personally I think Bent is tailor made for Arsenal and wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Wenger in January replacing Walcott in the squad.
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  villainies on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 am

Villa are skint. We need players and Bent is our only saleable asset. Can't afford for him not be fit and ready to sell in January plus he doesn't fit in with Lamberts style. Wave
avatar
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Posts : 6323
Join date : 2009-05-26
Location : Bristol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:27 am

jak wrote:I watched Villa last night and thought the team worked very hard. I believe this team has a lower average age than any previous Villa side.
I can see why Bent is not selected.
These youngsters are working very hard for each other, I know there's some poor decision making but that comes with experience but the potential is plain to see. Benteke's enthusiasm shines through.
If Bent was selected his work ethic would not go down well with youngsters who are working their balls off. I know his strike rate is very good but on the days when not much is coming his way and the team is under pressure, he's not so willing to do his bit.
Lambert sees the potential in these kids and he's prepared to run with them as they are without risking them seeing Bent swanning around and thinking they can do the same themselves.
Lambert is clearly sending a message that he won't tolerate a lack of effort, from anybody.
I think he's been brave to do that but he obviously sees the future in this group of younger players.
This season will be a roller coaster for Villa but the improvement is plain to see, for me Lambert is doing the right thing with Bent, there's clearly a problem, I'm sure it's to do with effort more than money.

here here Clap

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Posts : 5718
Join date : 2009-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 am

Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:From an outside perspective I really don't know how there can be a debate over Bent. He's not going to be flying around the pitch trying to win the ball in the centre circler, he'll be standing in the penalty area waiting to put it in. I'd say of all the English strikers in the league right now, only Defoe is a superior penalty area player.

Your right to a point but to play both Bent and Benteke means we will have to play 4-4-2.. PL doesn't want Benteke chasing down the wings like Weimenn and Gabby.. he wants him as the guy who holds the ball up and retains possesion.. which to be fair he does very well.. Bent isn't the tpe to do the chasing back.. doesn't have the work rate..
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  roadoftrinity on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 am

Was Bent at the game watching on Saturday?

Just a thought but maybe that's why he hasn't why he wasn't on the bench last night, Lambert might be the type who gets the hump if players don't stay around when not in the side. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the bench on Saturday.

Bizzare not to have him on the bench, not a chance I would want to see him starting.

roadoftrinity

Posts : 2849
Join date : 2009-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  Jay.P.A on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
jak wrote:That's all very well but obviously Lambert does not see it your way and he walked off with 4 points out of 6 without the predator.As I said on the days when a teams backs are to the wall and the ball is not getting into the oppo area you don't need a man standing around doing feck all.

Correct. However we also took 9 points out of the previous 33 available. Personally I think Bent is tailor made for Arsenal and wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Wenger in January replacing Walcott in the squad.

Bent played in 9 of the last 14 PL games, scoring 2 goals and setting 1 up. In 11 games, Benteke has scored 3 and set up 3 since he's been here, are we really missing Bent?

And Bent wouldn't be tailor made for Arsenal, he's not technical enough to be an Arsenal striker. Look at Giroud. Big guy, very good with his feet, and can finish. Infact, Benteke would be more suitable for Arsenal, Wenger had even scouted him.

I completely agree with Jak about Bent.

Wasn't there a game when Bent had only touched the ball 5 times the whole game this season?
avatar
Jay.P.A

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Some would say what Arsenal need is a guy who is on the spot to put the chances they create away, I think Bent is well suited to that
avatar
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Posts : 15241
Join date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  QBVILLA on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Jay.P.A wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:
jak wrote:That's all very well but obviously Lambert does not see it your way and he walked off with 4 points out of 6 without the predator.As I said on the days when a teams backs are to the wall and the ball is not getting into the oppo area you don't need a man standing around doing feck all.

Correct. However we also took 9 points out of the previous 33 available. Personally I think Bent is tailor made for Arsenal and wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Wenger in January replacing Walcott in the squad.

Bent played in 9 of the last 14 PL games, scoring 2 goals and setting 1 up. In 11 games, Benteke has scored 3 and set up 3 since he's been here, are we really missing Bent?

And Bent wouldn't be tailor made for Arsenal, he's not technical enough to be an Arsenal striker. Look at Giroud. Big guy, very good with his feet, and can finish. Infact, Benteke would be more suitable for Arsenal, Wenger had even scouted him.

I completely agree with Jak about Bent.

Wasn't there a game when Bent had only touched the ball 5 times the whole game this season?

We'll see only if he signs for them. Goalscorers are first touch players. The amount of times Arsenal get the ball in the box would suit a player like Bent immensely. I also like the way there are some incredibly short memories around. Had it not been for Bent scoring 9 in his first 15 or 16 games we wouldn't even be in the Premier League. Those two goals he scored at the Emirates to beat Arsenal were as good technically as any centre forward's goal.
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:09 pm

It does seem things have gone pear shaped from when Bent lost the captaincy and then was dropped for the Baggies game. He responded in the right manner by coming off the bench and scoring, but then seemed intent in after match of telling of his woes and what an awful couple of weeks he has had. Lets be honest, he dont seem like captain material to me. Personally, I would like to see him given a go up front with Benteke in games like last night where Reading went 4-4-2. Think they could be a real potent partnership,
avatar
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Posts : 15241
Join date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  jak on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:11 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
jak wrote:That's all very well but obviously Lambert does not see it your way and he walked off with 4 points out of 6 without the predator.As I said on the days when a teams backs are to the wall and the ball is not getting into the oppo area you don't need a man standing around doing feck all.

Correct. However we also took 9 points out of the previous 33 available. Personally I think Bent is tailor made for Arsenal and wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Wenger in January replacing Walcott in the squad.

God forbid!!!

jak

Posts : 16010
Join date : 2009-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  QBVILLA on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:14 pm

jak wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:
jak wrote:That's all very well but obviously Lambert does not see it your way and he walked off with 4 points out of 6 without the predator.As I said on the days when a teams backs are to the wall and the ball is not getting into the oppo area you don't need a man standing around doing feck all.

Correct. However we also took 9 points out of the previous 33 available. Personally I think Bent is tailor made for Arsenal and wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Wenger in January replacing Walcott in the squad.

God forbid!!!

You need a goalscorer and Bent certainly does that. Watch this space.
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:22 pm

He could renew his partnership with Downing cos the papers say Wenger is after him in January
avatar
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Posts : 15241
Join date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  ADRIAN_1976 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:51 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
Jay.P.A wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:
jak wrote:That's all very well but obviously Lambert does not see it your way and he walked off with 4 points out of 6 without the predator.As I said on the days when a teams backs are to the wall and the ball is not getting into the oppo area you don't need a man standing around doing feck all.

Correct. However we also took 9 points out of the previous 33 available. Personally I think Bent is tailor made for Arsenal and wouldn't be surprised if he signs for Wenger in January replacing Walcott in the squad.

Bent played in 9 of the last 14 PL games, scoring 2 goals and setting 1 up. In 11 games, Benteke has scored 3 and set up 3 since he's been here, are we really missing Bent?

And Bent wouldn't be tailor made for Arsenal, he's not technical enough to be an Arsenal striker. Look at Giroud. Big guy, very good with his feet, and can finish. Infact, Benteke would be more suitable for Arsenal, Wenger had even scouted him.

I completely agree with Jak about Bent.

Wasn't there a game when Bent had only touched the ball 5 times the whole game this season?

We'll see only if he signs for them. Goalscorers are first touch players. The amount of times Arsenal get the ball in the box would suit a player like Bent immensely. I also like the way there are some incredibly short memories around. Had it not been for Bent scoring 9 in his first 15 or 16 games we wouldn't even be in the Premier League. Those two goals he scored at the Emirates to beat Arsenal were as good technically as any centre forward's goal.

I remember those two goals.. brilliant strikes..

Its true.. things have gone pear shaped for Bent very easily.. we unfortunately couldn't build a team around him.. guess that's the story with Villa.. can never utilize a talent properly..

The thing that doesn't help us is that our midfield is cack at scoring goals.. Ireland Gabby Westwood K EA Bannan Herd N Zog Holman.. I cant see any of them smashing in 5 league goals in a season.. maybe as a one off..

We need to get a couple in who can score from midfield.. get the Michu's Dempsey's of the world in..
avatar
ADRIAN_1976

Posts : 6124
Join date : 2009-05-28
Location : Birmingham

View user profile http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  Jay.P.A on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 pm

No doubting that QB, Darren Bent is a very good finisher. It was a great ball by Kyle Walker to pick him out by the way for that first goal.

When I said technical, I meant outside the box, not his technique in finishing by the way. He may score tap ins but that what his price tag is about, that instinct to score goals.

But his work outside the box is very, very basic. I think he'd be more useful at Everton. Like Jelavic, Bent could also run in the channels, pass back to the full back or winger, run into the box and pounce on any chance. He's not a striker that could turn a defender inside out put it past the keeper, ala Henry, Bergkamp, Adebayor.

QB, I'll pay £5 pound to the charity of your choice if Wenger buys Bent Cool


Last edited by Jay.P.A on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Jay.P.A

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  Jay.P.A on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm

villanfromluton wrote:He could renew his partnership with Downing cos the papers say Wenger is after him in January

Is Wenger buying Downing as well?! Beds
avatar
Jay.P.A

Posts : 2549
Join date : 2009-05-31
Age : 27
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  villanfromluton on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Jay.P.A wrote:No doubting that QB, Darren Bent is a very good finisher. It was a great ball by Kyle Walker to pick him out by the way for that first goal.

When I said technical, I meant outside the box, not his technique in finishing by the way. He may score tap ins but that what his price tag is about, that instinct to score goals.

But his work outside the box is very, very basic. I think he'd be more useful at Everton. Like Jelavic, Bent could also run in the channels, pass back to the full back or winger, run into the box and pounce on any chance. He's not a striker that could turn a defender inside out put it past the keeper, ala Henry, Bergkamp, Adebayor.

QB, I'll pay £5 pound to the charity of your choice if Wenger buys Bent Cool

That will be the QB get pist charity foundation, happens every weekend without fail
avatar
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Posts : 15241
Join date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  QBVILLA on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm

A worthy cause.
avatar
QBVILLA

Posts : 9649
Join date : 2009-05-27
Age : 39
Location : Costa del Quarry Bonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bent..

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum